Thursday, June 7, 2007

Kappe + Sova Light Bank

Hi there all,
this is the first actual installment of Ikeaphile. (The Launch not included)

We're going to begin simply today with 2 items I use together very often, cobined they can make a very effective light bank.

Kappe Clothes Rack - $4.99


















Sova Fitted Sheet (white, Full size) - $6.99
(no image, come on its a bedsheet, you know what they look like)

Step 1: Assemble Kappe
Step 2: Unpack Sova, give it a good shake, throw it over the Kappe
Step 3: Start taking some nice pictures with some beautiful soft light

I'll add now, that I recommend using the Sova Flat Sheet (White, King) -$12.99 over what I've chosen, I just happen to have a Full mattress (also from Ikea) so that's why I got it.

Example of the results:
With Kappe



















Without Kappe















While I fully agree, Fender is not going to use either of these shots to promote their product, as they're pretty poor images, they do show the benefits of this setup:

1 - Increased relative light source size.
The flash used for both of these was a throw away Quantaray Q-15 flash, very small light source, gives nasty specular highlights. Both downfalls are negated.

2 - Much softer transitions to shadow.
This ties in with the relative source size increasing, although this also helps eliminate shadow too. Notice the bottom of the stand on the right, almost no shadow with our $12 light bank, and what shadow there is -is nice and soft with a smooth transition.

3 - Specular accent.
Also having to do with relative light source size, the highlight we receive from the Kappe accents the edge, adding dimensionality to the object and helping to pop it off the background.

So there you are, now go and experiment!

Don't tell me you can't find an Ikea . . .

Next project (6.17.07) we'll address seating, cause while I don't deny its usefulness, there're occasions when some just don't need an $85 (+tax & shipping) chair.

There will likely be update(s) between now and then, so check up.

Did I mention to add the Ikephile RSS to your browser? Well, I am now, so do! :D

No comments: